Monday, June 6, 2011

Just Words This Post - Pictures Tomorrow

From A-C: 1.) Happy 46th anniversary to Mimi and Pepaw! Miss you! 2.) Can't wait to see you, Granddaddy and Susie - it's almost time! 3.) Laura, I really, really miss you; you're gonna love it here when you come; practice your Italian! Tell Grant "hi" for me. 4.) Mrs. Kirby, your Tide pen came in handy at the airport and here at the Bible school. You've saved the day a few times already. 5.) Mr. J.C., I know how you love ice cream; I love the gelato here. Have you had it? 6.) Mr. Bill and Mrs. Martha, I hope Reese is doing well; please tell her "hi" for me. I really, really, really, reallly, really, really, really miss you.

From Loren: Please excused all misspelled words (misspelled might have one s?). My "spell check" is in Italian, so it appears that almost every single word is misspelled when I click the abc icon, so just go ahead and forgive me. If this were a research paper, I'd have an American dictionary at my side. Also, I'm taking an online class AND being Clay's side kick, so time is limited. I'm doing this so that you'll be able to read what's most likely going on simultaneously with your student's Facebook photos, so just skim over the spelling errors, please!

Sunday continued: After church, the group took the "autobus" to the Accademia to see the David - picture perfection, and you've got it! The David symbolized the people of Florence fighting (at least in their mind's eye) the powerful Medici; by this time, they were tired of the ruling family and saw them as Goliath. In his early 20s, Michaelangelo completed the David. Of course, it was too beautiful to put atop the Duomo, so the leaders put it in the piazza where the government buildings were so that the people could better enjoy its beauty. The students were also able to view (in the same gallery) the Prisoners - the sculptures that Michaelangelo created that look like they are breaking free from the stone. It is said that Michaelangelo could see what was inside, that he thought that God was using him chisel away the excess from the art. He selected his own marble from a nearby quarry and was known for his temper and his perfectionism. He didn't enjoy the last process of sculpting - polishing the marble - so he left this to his apprentices. It is unknown whether the Prisoners were left "unfinished" on purpose or if Michaelanglo meant for them to be in this state. Either way, they are magnificant to appreciate. The David is at the end of a long hallway lined with the Prisoners. It calls you to run to it, but it's smart to reflect upon the Prisoners along the way; they were comissioned for a pope's tomb (maybe a couple of them - don't have my research book nearby), and they show the emphasis Michaelangelo placed on details while sculpting.
After the Accademia the students were dismissed to enjoy some free time before our classes at night back at Avanti. The sky "opened up," as they say. Most everybody was soaked to the core after running through the streets from the bus stop. All appear healthy.
The Avanti crew made a special breakfast of pancakes and bacon for us today! Workouts are happening as I type, classes will be before and after lunch (I saw a giant bowl of shrimp soaking in the kitchen, and I can't wait to see/smell what Rosa does with them!!!), and free time will be tonight. Clay and I will shop for more lunch supplies during the early evening, making a trip to the grocery store an interesting experience, I'm certain; we'll try to read the Italian labels, and I HOPE we've already ordered the bread and meats so that they'll be cut for us upon arrival, but if not, we'll point to what we think we'd like the group will enjoy eating. I also must get laundry detergent - it's time!
Clay's getting along well with the language. At lunch yesterday, he was chatting away (well, at a slower pace than the Italians, of course, but he was holding his own) while I was smiling my face off. Maybe I should take an online Italian course...
Tomorrow the group will bus to San Gimignano (small Tuscan hill town known for its towers still standing) and will spend the afternoon on Siena. I believe we'll have a guide there, but if that doesn't work out, we always have the Rick-ster to educate us. We'll report in again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment